DSV plans to invest approx. 2 billion Danish Kroner in a new logistics centre, Europe’s largest with just one leaseholder.
The logistics facilities in and around the city of Horsens in Jutland, Denmark, can no longer accommodate DSV’s present and expected growth. Simultaneously, DSV wants to consolidate its warehouse and cross-docking terminals in the Horsens area to ensure increased efficiency and productivity combined with a greener profile and less CO2 emissions. Therefore, DSV will build a future-proof logistics centre on a 700,000 sqm area in Horsens.
– In DSV we focus on growing our business. As part of our growth strategy, we want to consolidate all our activities within Air & Sea, Road and Solutions in one location to ensure that our operations are efficient and that we provide the best possible solutions to our customers. Furthermore, Horsens is a strategic hub for transports between the Nordics and all other European countries. We also want to retain our many talented employees and with this new development we maintain our connection with the city – says Simon H. Galsgaard, Managing Director for DSV Road A/S in Denmark.
Europe’s largest logistics centre
Our new logistics centre will be built on the plot next to our present facilities in Horsens. Not only will it be Denmark’s but also Europe’s largest logistics centre with only one leaseholder. The office will comprise 18,000 sqm office space, the cross-docking terminal will occupy approximately 50,000 sqm and the warehousing facilities will occupy between 200,000 and 269,000 sqm.
– To date, this is DSV’s largest construction project and we look forward to the new and huge potential it provides us with. It is part of our strategy to consolidate smaller sites and create larger, modern and future-proof facilities that will benefit both our customers and us. Among other things, the new logistics centre in Horsens will be characterized by a large degree of automated processes which ensure quick and efficient handling of large volumes – says Simon H. Galsgaard.
The largest sale of land for industrial purposes
For the city of Horsens, this is a historically large sale of land for industrial purposes.
– As far as I know, this is the largest sale of land for industrial purposes in the history of Horsens and I am very pleased that DSV has chosen to place their new logistics centre in our municipality. Today, DSV employs around 750 people in Horsens; with the expansion the number is expected to increase to more than 1,000 – and probably even more. In addition to administrative positions, DSV offers employment within transport and warehousing. For that reason, also, I am very pleased that we have entered this agreement concerning sales of 500,000 sqm land to DSV – says Peter Sørensen, Mayor of Horsens.
He emphasizes that the building project will mean more jobs available during the construction phase.
– Building a facility of this size will mean a lot of additional jobs available during the construction phase, something which local craftsmen and hauliers will benefit from. According to DSV’s estimates it may amount to 250 jobs – says Peter Sørensen
DSV’s new logistics centre in Horsens, Denmark
- Building site – approx. 700,000 sqm
- Warehouse facilities – 200,000 – 269,000 sqm
- Cross-docking facilities – approx. 50,000 sqm
- Office facilities – approx. 18,000 sqm
- We expect to break ground in August 2021
- We expect to begin occupying the facilities end of 2022 or beginning of 2023 when the cross-docking terminal, the office building and part of the warehouse facilities have been finalised
- Construction work will continue for another 3 – 3½ years and our new logistics centre in Horsens is expected to be completed during 2026