Compared to a train, a truck emits 30 times as much CO2, requires three times as much space and only covers around one quarter of the distance with the same energy consumption. There are countless arguments for freight transport by rail – here are 9 of them!
1. Rail is per se the most sustainable means of transport – if only for the reason that it enables zero-emissions freight transport. With our freight transport services, we save 1.1 million tonnes of CO2 annually in Austria here at RCG alone – and even more across Europe.
2. The sustainability of the energy driving our trains depends on its origin. That’s why we already operate with our own traction in three countries – Austria, Germany and Czech Republic – exclusively with 100% green traction current. In Germany and the Czech Republic, the required current is drawn from the public grid, while in Austria, the ÖBB infrastructure also operates eight of its own power stations.
3. Goods transported by rail don’t clog up our roads: this is especially beneficial for congested transit regions. With ROLA, we offer an attractive alternative along the Brenner Pass, for example, which allows goods to travel quickly and efficiently.
4. This also benefits the residents of transit regions as congestion doesn’t just waste time, but also produces unnecessary emissions and noise.
5. Whether they’re carrying steel girders or timber, rail is a proven method of transporting large, heavy consignments over long distances.
6. In addition, trains are better equipped than trucks to carry large quantities of goods. Often, goods can be transported on a block train when they’re distributed across several wagons. What’s more, transport by rail is usually quicker than by ship, cheaper than by air and more environmentally friendly than both of them combined.
7. Steel on steel beats tyres on tarmac. The low rolling resistance is reflected in the higher energy efficiency of trains compared to trucks.
8. Rail also comes out on top in terms of safety: people and goods are far safer on trains than they are on the roads. Some hazardous goods can only be transported by rail.
9. Since obstructions such as traffic jams and accidents are practically out of the question with rail travel, rail freight transport is also less prone to disruption.
Source: Rail Cargo Group